Monday, July 7, 2014

You can do anything....

We have been trying so hard to get Emily off her Training wheels, but it has not happened.

She has not been very confident. A friend told me they just took them off of their 3 year old and let her use her bike like a push balance bike. So I got thinking that seeing holidays were coming I would make Emily try again and see if we could get somewhere.

We went down with some friends to a park in Newcastle and there was another child there on her bike, and Emily on her scooter. She kept coming to me saying “wish I could ride my bike like her!”. I felt so guilty for not giving her the time on her bike so she could practice, so I told her we'll go and try the following Day at the Park.

She was in such a good mood, even trying to master doing her shoe laces all by herself. I thought, just maybe today is the day, I told her of my plan, hoping she'd agree. She was a little worried for a while getting rid of those blasted training wheels but that was our goal. So off we went to the park very confident seeing that at 6 1/2 she should have mastered this by now.

It was a very shaky start and no progress for a while, but I was confident she'd eventually get it. So I sat and prepared for a long day. It only took her a few hours before she put that foot on that peddle and away she went. Yay, I couldn't control my excitement; and neither could she. I could hear her from the other side of the park. "Mum did ya see". Oh I saw it alright.

You are a very clever girl. She kept at it all day until there were no wobbles at all. And every time she passed me she would say "See I can do anything I want too". I thought, “you so can clever girl”.


Why is it that when we get older we don't have that feeling anymore? We doubt ourselves and always question ourselves instead of trying, trying and eventually succeeding. It doesn't matter how many times you fall or wobble as long as you keep getting back on the bike and trying....

No comments: